Kevin Hargraves’ sister says video shows he was shot in the back of the neck

A man who was shot dead by a DC police officer in northwest Washington on Saturday appears to have been punched in the back of the head, according to the sister of the man who watched video Monday from the officer’s body camera.

Police say the officer saw Kevin Hargraves-Shird “armed with a handgun” before the officer fired a shot and struck the 31-year-old.

The sister, Serena Hargraves, said the video shows the officer firing his gun while in his cruiser, jumping up and shouting “gun” before firing.

“It was like two seconds,” Hargraves said.

Extensive details of the shooting that occurred around 4 p.m. in the 200 block of Madison Street NW near Fort Slocum Park remain in dispute, including whether a firearm was pointed at police at the time the officer fired and what commands, if any, were issued by police. Police confirmed that relatives had access to the video on Monday afternoon.

The video has not yet been made public. City officials have until Friday to post the video on their website and identify the officer who fired the shot. This officer is on administrative leave. Hargraves, 38, said the family gave the city permission to show the video publicly. She also said police initially misspelled her brother’s last name.

Hargraves and her father watched the video after she and about two dozen protesters turned up at the Fourth District Police Station on Georgia Avenue. They angrily shouted at the police demanding more answers.

A vigil is scheduled for Tuesday evening where Hargraves-Shird was shot.

Southeast DC gunman shot dead by officer dies

A police department spokesman, Dustin Sternbeck, said agency officials would not comment until additional details are known through their investigation. Sternbeck confirmed that Hargraves-Shird was struck in the head, but would not further describe the injury.

Police say the incident began when people in two vehicles fired at others walking near Longfellow Street and Georgia Avenue NW. Police said the pedestrians returned fire to the vehicles. Two men were injured in the gunfire.

Police said a black vehicle and a green vehicle were driven from the scene and are being sought. Police also said bystanders informed them that three people in a white Kia had also fled the scene of the shooting and could be seen brandishing and concealing firearms. Police said Hargraves-Shird was driving the Kia.

Deputy Police Chief Ashan M. Benedict told reporters Saturday that the officer “engaged a gunman” about seven blocks from the shooting at Longfellow Street and Georgia Avenue.

“He gave orders,” Benedict said of the officer. “These orders have not been complied with.” Benedict later said the officer shouted “gun, gun, gun”. Hargraves said she did not hear the officer issue any other commands to drop a gun in the video she reviewed.

Police said they recovered a Taurus 9mm semi-automatic handgun loaded with 18 rounds from a grassy area and they believe Hargraves-Shird was holding it when the officer fired. Police also said they found three other firearms in the vehicle, including a rifle. Benedict said whether Hargraves-Shird pointed a gun at the officer is still under investigation.

Hargraves said she could not see on video a gun in her brother’s hands at the time he was shot, or when the officer approaches as Hargraves-Shird is seen lying on his stomach . She said footage shows the gun was found some distance from where her brother collapsed.

Hargraves also said she believed her brother and others in the white Kia were not involved in the earlier shooting, but were trying to walk away from that scene.

Benedict said Saturday that police believe the white Kia was “directly linked to the shooting” earlier at Longfellow Street and Georgia Avenue, but he said the specific link is under investigation.

The police report on the shooting also states “a white Kia left the scene” of the previous shooting.

Saturday’s shooting came two weeks after a DC police commander shot dead a man he said he saw pointing a gun along DC’s waterfront entertainment district known as the Wharf.

DC police have shot five people this year, three of them fatally. In addition, a Metro Transit Police officer shot and wounded a man and a uniformed US Secret Service officer shot and killed a man outside the Peruvian Ambassador’s residence in northwest Washington.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button